Located in Buena Park, California, Knott's Soak City is a seasonal water park that offers 13-acres of beach-themed thrills. The Orange County attraction is owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and is associated with the Knott's Berry Farm theme park. In the past, there were two other Knott's Soak City parks in the state, but they are now operating under different ownership and names (Aquatic San Diego, SeaWorld's water park and Wet 'N' Wild Palm Springs).
Knott's Soak City is open from the end of May through select dates in September. The park opens at 10 a.m., with closing time varying between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., depending on when you visit in the season. Check the park's website for operating hours for specific dates.
Soak City Attractions
The water park has a wide variety of water slides to choose from, including inner tube slides, body and speed slides, and family slides for multi-person rafts, a well as many other options for family and friends.
Slides for Bigger Kids
These slides have a minimum height requirement of 48 inches and are for the more adventurous types.
- Malibu Run: This thrilling attraction features four single-tube slides, each of which has open and enclosed flumes.
- Old Man Falls: Race down the 63-foot-high, speed-slide action of Pipeline, Point Break, and Riptide to a splashtastic finish. Note: swimwear with metal or plastic details will not be permitted on Old Man Falls.
- Pacific Spin: This multi-person raft ride features a 132-foot long tunnel that drops you 75 feet into a six-story funnel.
These slides are just as fun as the others, but with a minimum height requirement of 42 inches, younger visitors can participate.
- Banzai Falls: This six-lane, 43-foot-high speed slide lets you race to the bottom.
- Laguna Storm Water Tower: This slide features three flumes (Typhoon, Tornado, and Cyclone) atop the 43-foot-high Laguna Storm Watch Tower. Note: Swimmers 42 inches to 48 inches tall must wear a life vest.
- Toyota Beach House Slide: All the grown up fun you can have in one area, the Toyota Beach House has slides, a water bucket and water guns. Note: swimwear with metal or plastic will not be permitted on this slide.
Fun for Smaller Kids
The Gremmie Lagoon is entirely designed for younger children who are 54 inches or shorter. This area has its own slides, water guns, and even a one-foot deep pool.
For guests that just want to float aimlessly for part of the day, Sunset River offers a circular, artificial river to swim in that is nearly a half mile long. Everyone is allowed in the water, though small children must be wearing a life preserver and have an adult nearby.
Families can choose between two types of cabanas: (1) Waterpool and Malibu Cabanas or (2) Grand Cabanas. Both types include a table with an umbrella, four club chairs and four chaise lounges. Private food and beverage service is also provided (menu prices apply). Cabana rentals does not include entrance to the park.
Waterpool and Malibu Cabanas
Waterpool and Malibu Cabanas are priced at $199 per day Friday through Sunday (and on holidays) and $150 on other days. They include:
- Four inner tube rentals
- Cabana access for up to eight (8) guests
Grand Cabanas are priced at $335 per day Friday through Sunday (and on holidays) and $270 on other days. They include:
- Eight Inner tube rentals
- Cabana access for up to fourteen (14) guests
Reserve in Advance
It is recommended that you reserve your cabana online before you go to the park. You can make a reservation through the Soak City website as long as it is at least 48 hours in advance.
Like other theme parks, Knott's Soak City offers dining options for those planning on spending the entire day at the park. Dining options include:
- Longboard Grill: This restaurant offers your typical summertime theme park food. You can get great hotdogs, burgers or chicken fingers here.
- Portside Pizza: Just about everyone loves pizza and Portside Pizza is sure to please. They also have salads and funnel cakes.
- Surf Daddy's Food Hut: This is the place to go for snacks. They offer pretzels, churros, sandwiches and much more.
Some elect to enjoy lunch outside of the park, where you can find more dining options. You must ensure that your wrist band stays fastened in order to regain access to Soak City.
Knott's Soak City offers dining plans that can be purchased separately from admission.
- The Single Meal Deal includes a fountain drink, entrée, and fries for just $14.49.
- Stay fueled for a full day of fun with the All Day Dining Plan, where you can enjoy an entrée with fries as often as every 90 minutes for just $31.99. Beverages are not included in the All Day Dining Plan.
- The park also offers a season pass plus dining, which offers one lunch meal and one dinner meal per pass for every visit. It costs $195.75.
According to TripAdvisor, as of the 2015 season, Knott's Soak City general admission for adults is $28.99. For children between ages 3-11 or for seniors 62+ admission is only $17.99. Check the park's website for current pricing.
Buying online ahead of time is the general rule of thumb to acquire cheaper tickets. You can generally purchase tickets online for $7 less than standard ticket prices. These tickets can be purchased online at the Knott's Soak City website during the season. Military and AAA discounts are available. Additional discounts can sometimes be found on Mousesavers.com.
The park also offers a couple different options for season passes which can pay for themselves in only four visits. There are also upgraded season passes which would allow admission to both Knott's Berry Farm and Knott's Soak City, and yet another which offers access to all Cedar Fair Parks in the US and Canada. Payment plans are available.
Knott's Soak City Tips
- Get there early. One Yelp reviewer noted that even though the park didn't open until 10 a.m. there were lines as early as 8:30 a.m. waiting to go in.
- Rent a locker to safe keep your belongings as theft does happen despite the security. for even more peace of mind it would be well advised to rent a cabana.
- Parking is $15 and it is recommended to bring cash
- A general rule for most theme park is to establish a meetup location, in the event the group gets separated. This rule also applies to Knott's Soak City despite it being a relatively small theme park.
- There is a dress code in effect. Proper swimwear is required on slides, which is defined as a one or two piece swimsuit. Pants, denim, thongs, or transparent clothing is not allowed.
- A 'Responsible Person' or supervising companion is required for children on some rides. This is someone who meets all the ride requirements themselves and is 16 years of age or older.
- Don't forget to bring and regularly reapply sunscreen. The park does have limited shaded areas but most times will be spent under the sun.
- Renting tubes for the day is also recommended to avoid waiting in line for a tube before going on a ride.
Guests who wish to stay near to the park can reserve a room at Knott's Berry Farm Resort Hotel. This has been the official hotel for both Knott's Berry Farm and Soak City since 2004. The hotel often runs promotions to encourage ticket holders to stay at their hotel. Amenities include wireless internet, a heated outdoor pool and spa, and lighted tennis and basketball courts.
Enjoy Your Time in the Park
Whether you're a local or will be traveling to Buena Park to visit, Knott's Soak City is a great way to beat the Southern California heat. With a variety of water slides and Knott's Berry Farm nearby, everyone in your family is sure to have a great time.