When asking which countries have Disney theme parks, it is important to note that Disney owns numerous types of theme parks. The most well known theme parks may be in the United States, in Florida and California, but other parks located around the world are just as awe inspiring to visit.
Which Counties Have Disney Theme Parks around the World
For those that love the thrill of seeing their favorite characters while riding exciting roller coasters, Disney definitely has something to offer. The following are the current Disney theme parks open around the world. The company is always considering new opportunities throughout the world.
Walt Disney founded the Disney Company in the 1920's. From there, several theme parks developed throughout the country.
- Disneyland Park in California: The Disneyland Park opened in 1955. The park has several region themes, including Main Street U.S.A., Frontierland, Fantasyland and Adventureland. In 2001, the Disneyland Park was renamed Disneyland Resort. It also includes Disney's California Adventure Park, Downtown Disney, Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel.
- Walt Disney World Resort: Walt Disney's dream was to create a park in Orlando, Florida that offer numerous theme parks, hotels and shopping areas. Walt Disney World Resort opened its doors in 1971 with the Magic Kingdom. The resort later opened Epcot. Later, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom parks would open. Disney's Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and Wide World of Sports are also located in the Orlando resort. Numerous Disney hotels and a Downtown Disney shopping area are also located here.
In April 1983, Disney opened the Tokyo Disney Resort. The resort is located in Urayasu, Chiba, Japan. In 2001, the resort expanded with the addition of Tokyo DisneySea. There are several hotels on property, and a shopping center called Ikspiari. The resort is under the ownership and operations by The Oriental Land Company, but Disney holds the license and some controlling right in the park.
Disneyland Resort Paris opened its doors in April of 1992. It opened as Euro Disney Resort. It is located in the Marne-la-Vallee suburb of Paris, France. The resort features numerous resorts and a Disney Village shopping area. There are two theme parks here, Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park. The final component of the park is Golf Disney, a large golf course. The Walt Disney Company owns part of the park and licensing rights to it, but Euro Disney S.C.A. manages the park.
Disney's latest addition to its park lineup is the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. It opened in September of 2005. The resort is located in Penny's Bay, Lantau Island. Although the park is open, there is still a sizable amount of land available for future development. The resort consists of two parks, Hong Kong Disneyland and Inspiration Lake Recreation Centre. In addition, two resort hotels, Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and Disney's Hollywood Hotel, are also on property. This park is operated under Hong Kong International Theme Parks, which is jointly owned by the Hong Kong government and The Walt Disney Company.
Other Disney Adventures to Explore
When asked which counties have Disney theme parks, you may not realize that there are other adventures and facilities managed by or with the Disney theme. These, too, are located around the world.
- Disney Cruise Line: The Disney Cruise Line has two ships, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, which offer three, four and seven night Caribbean cruises. When taking the cruise, you will stop at Castaway Cay, a private island located in the Bahamas that Disney owns.
- ESPN Zone: Throughout the world you may find these restaurants. ESPN Zone is a sports themed restuarnt operated by the Walt Disney Company.
- DisneyQuest: This indoor theme park, is actually an interactive, five story building, without windows, that guests can explore. The facility features a number of virtual reality attractions, arcades and similar attractions. It is located in Downtown Disney, at the Walt Disney World Resort.
According to some reports, Disney has plans for other parks to be located throughout the world. This includes expansion of the Hong Kong Disneyland resort and Disneyland Resort Paris. A mainland China park is under consideration. A Hawaii located park has also been in discussion. Disney World Resort in Orlando currently only occupies one quarter of the land owned by the park, and could have further expansion.