Arizona theme parks offer fun for the whole family. While the Grand Canyon state doesn't currently have a large theme park such as Six Flags, there is no shortage of rides, water slides, miniature golf and more.
Castles & Coasters
Castles & Coasters is located in north Phoenix, just off I-17, adjacent to the Metrocenter mall. It is considered the only major theme park in the state and is an excellent location for fun, birthday parties and corporate events.
Though small, this park offers a range of rides the whole family can enjoy, including:
- Sky Diver: This drop ride allows you to experience a 120-foot freefall. The minimum height is 48 inches.
- Free Fall: This is another, less intense drop ride, and the minimum height is 42 inches tall.
- Desert Storm: This roller coaster features a series of loops and twists. It is for riders 42 inches and taller.
- Patriot: This roller coaster isn't as intense so that the whole family can enjoy the ride. Single riders must be 42 inches, but riders from 36 to 42 inches can ride with an adult.
- Splashdown: You'll enjoy cooling off in the Arizona heat on this log flume ride.
- Bumper Boats: It is similar to bumper cars except you're in the water. Everyone under 44 inches tall must ride with an adult.
- Carousel: Take a break from the thrill rides for an enjoyable spin on the carrousel. There are over 60 horses and animals to ride on.
In addition to rides, there are other fun features at Castles & Coasters to enjoy.
- NasKarts: Race other drivers through the turns and banks of this quarter mile track that is located under the Desert Storm roller coaster. Single riders must be 56 inches tall while those 42 inches and taller can ride with an adult.
- Miniature Golf: There are 4-eighteen hole golf courses. The courses feature landmarks, fountains and other landscapes.
- Arcade: Try your luck at more than 300 games, including air hockey, prize games and a large collection of pinball games.
Castles & Coasters is open year round. The hours vary during the year, so call (602) 997-7575 to plan your visit. Additional information is available at the Castles & Coasters website.
Additional Arizona Theme Parks
There are additional Arizona theme parks that you might want to visit, and even if they don't have the same roller coasters and thrill rides of more familiar parks, they still offer a great getaway.
Rawhide lets you experience an authentic 1880s western town. Some of the attractions include:
- Arrest-A-Guest: Lock your friends or family behind bars until they convince you to let them out.
- Gold Panning: See if you have the skills necessary to pan for fool's gold.
- Six Gun Theater: This stunt show features cowboys participating in gun fights, falls off buildings, and explosions.
- Butterfield Stagecoach: Ride a real stagecoach while exploring the beautiful desert scenery.
Rawhide is located in Chandler, Arizona. Call toll-free at 800-527-1880 or visit the Rawhide website for more information.
Helldorado Town is similar to Rawhide. Experience the old west by visiting shooting galleries, saloons, mineshafts and more. Make sure you watch the gunfight show when you visit. Helldorado is located in Tombstone, Arizona. For more information, visit the Helldorado website.
Enchanted Island Amusement Park
Located in Encanto Park in Phoenix, this amusement park is suited for children aged 2 to 10. You can stay all day or make a short visit. Single tickets and books of 20 tickets are available, along with all-day and annual passes. Rides at Enchanted Island include Encanto Carousel, Dragon Wheel, Bumper Boats, Red Barron and more. For more information, contact the park at (602) 254-1200 or visit the website.
Golfland Entertainment Centers
Golfland has Arizona theme park locations in Mesa, Phoenix, and Tempe. Attractions vary by location but usually include miniature golf, water slides, wave pools, arcade games, go-karts and laser tag. For hours, directions and contact information, visit the Golfland website.
From gun fights to roller coasters, Arizona theme parks offer a range of southwestern attractions the whole family can enjoy, so saddle up for some fun today!