If you're visiting Albuquerque, don't forget to take a day to visit Cliff's Amusement Park for southwestern thrills and family fun in a classic theme park setting. With a range of rides for everyone to enjoy, this small park is a great summertime diversion.
Cliff's Amusement Park Attractions
Originally known as Uncle Cliff's Kiddieland when it opened in 1959, this small park in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has fun attractions for all ages. The most popular rides include:
- Galaxi: This compact steel roller coaster has a maximum height of just 45 feet and a top speed of only 30 miles per hour, but its tight turns and steep drops make is a thrilling ride for adventurous guests.
- Fire Ball: This freestanding loop seems innocent enough, but riders will be surprised at its force and speed as they rocket back and forth through the 60 foot wide circle.
- SideWinder: This crazy pendulum thrill ride spins riders in a complete circle while they swing back and forth to a maximum height of 80 feet above the park.
- New Mexico Rattler: This hybrid wooden roller coaster - a roller coaster design with a wooden track atop a steel support structure - opened in 2002 and has been thrilling riders with its 80 foot tall first hill, 100 foot long tunnel, and 47 miles per hour top speed ever since.
- Rocky Mountain Rapids: This classic family log flume ride is a great way to make a splash on a hot New Mexico summer day.
- Water Monkeys' Adventure: If you want to cool off at Cliff's without waiting in line, take a walk through this splashtastic water fortress with its wading pool, tipping bucket, fountains, waterfalls, and other wet features.
- Kiddieland: Younger guests will enjoy the wide range of attractions in the Kiddieland section of the park, including bumper cars, a Frog Hopper, a miniature carousel, and more.
In addition to these signature rides, Cliff's Amusement Park is also home to many classic theme park rides, including bumper cars, a Sea Dragon swinging ship, a Musik Express, the Tilt-a-Whirl, the Scrambler, a small train, a carousel, and more rides that are fun for the whole family.
This amusement park may be small, but it's easy to work up a big appetite when you're enjoying all its fun attractions. Fortunately, just as the park has a wide range of classic rides, there are also many classic amusement park food choices. Hot dogs, burgers, corn dogs, pizza, ice cream, cotton candy, chicken strips, and French fries are all available. If you prefer some southwestern tastes, you can try the park's barbeque sandwiches, chimichangas, or churros.
Visiting the Park
Because of Albuquerque's unpredictable winter weather, this amusement park is only open seasonally from April through September. The park is open weekends in April, May, and September and the operating hours are shorter, but during the summer it is open more days of the week and for longer periods. Hours and open dates can vary, however, and interested guests should consult a current park calendar before planning a theme park getaway to Cliff's.
Cliff's offers two types of park admission to accommodate any budget and interests. Guests can choose an all day pass for $25, with discounted rates available for guests under 48 inches tall or younger than two years old. The second option is a pay-per-ride choice, with individual ride prices ranging from $2 to $6. Cash is not accepted in the park for rides, however; instead, guests must fill a Cliff's Fun Card to spend easily at different rides. The cards do not expire, making it easy for parents to give their children a suitable budget on every visit.
For More Information
For more information about this Albuquerque park, including employment opportunities, a downloadable park map, and other tips, interested guests can visit CliffsAmusementPark.com, call (505) 881-9373, or write:
Cliff's Amusement Park
4800 Osuna Rd. NE at San Mateo
Albuquerque, NM 87109-2314