For most Disneyland theme park visitors, the Disney princesses are the most prominent female role models, but in fact, there is one more popular female star of Disneyland: Minnie Mouse.
About Minnie Mouse
Minnie Mouse is a familiar icon to many Disney fans - the precocious girlfriend of Mickey Mouse, Minnie has become a star in her own right. Her real name is Minerva, but she is made more friendly and fun by her perky nickname as well as her characteristic "Whoo hoo" greeting, her flirty skirts, and her oversized bow.
Minnie was first introduced to the public in the famous Steamboat Willie cartoon, and through the years she has appeared in more than 70 Disney cartoons and animated features. She has played many roles, including cheerleader, homemaker, singer, and damsel in distress, though her place as Mickey's girlfriend has always been the most popular. Romantic rivalries are often a plot of cartoons featuring Minnie, but despite the difficulties, she always stays by Mickey's side in the end.
Minnie Mouse is more than just Mickey's girlfriend, however. Her strong character includes numerous personality traits, and her favorite activities include gardening (both flowers and vegetables), shopping, dancing, and experimenting with new fashions. As a strong but fun female character, Minnie has gathered many fans throughout the world, and they can travel to Disneyland to meet this big-eared heroine.
Character Meetings at Disneyland: Minnie Mouse
Disneyland is the epitome of the Disney fantasy world - guests can actually interact with the animated characters that have shaped dreams for generations. Minnie makes herself available in several ways for her adoring fans, including:
- Minnie & Friends Breakfast in the Park: This special event is offered to guests who want to share a scrumptious breakfast buffet with their favorite characters. It takes place on Main Street U.S.A. until 11 a.m., though it is not offered every morning and advance reservations are recommended. In addition to a delicious breakfast, guests will meet the characters and have the opportunity to take photos with them and get their autographs.
- Minnie's House: Many favorite characters live in Disneyland: Minnie Mouse actually has a colorful home in Mickey's Toontown that guests can visit. The bright furnishings are classic Minnie style, and the refrigerator is stocked with many different types of cheese in case she wants a bit of a nibble. Visitors can see Minnie's Wishing Well, and may have their wish granted with a visit from the popular star.
- Mickey's Toontown Morning Madness: This exclusive event is available for guests staying at the hotels at Disneyland. They get to enter Toontown an hour before it opens to the public, where their favorite characters will stage a fun parade and be available for pictures and autographs. Minnie is sure not to miss the fun!
- Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams: Both Mickey and Minnie Mouse are the guests of honor at this daily parade down Main Street U.S.A. Beautiful floats, music, and fun make this a special event and grand occasion for Minnie fans, even if they may not be able to meet their heroine personally.
In addition to scheduled character appearances, lucky guests may get a special treat at Disneyland: Minnie Mouse can appear at any time along the park's thoroughfares to share the day with delighted fans. When visiting with Minnie, however, it is important that guests demonstrate the proper behavior - they are, after all, face to face with one of Disney's most popular stars.
- Be patient and don't shove or cut in line to see Minnie.
- Have cameras and autograph albums ready so time isn't wasted looking for them.
- Be polite to the animated star - don't tug her skirt, pinch her ears, or do other things you wouldn't want done to you.
- Don't be afraid to get a handshake or hug - Minnie loves to meet her fans!
Buying Minnie Memorabilia
Guests can find many types of souvenirs at Disneyland: Minnie Mouse memorabilia is everywhere. Depending on individual tastes and budgets, there are many different options, including:
- Plush toys in different outfits and sizes
- Watches, pins, and other Minnie jewelry
- Minnie Mouse ears in classic styles or with wedding veils, Christmas hats, or other adornments
- Figurines in different poses and including different characters
- Costumes for fans to be Minnie themselves
- Limited edition animation prints, paintings, and other artwork
- Ornaments, glassware, picture frames and other novelties
Adoring Minnie fans will not be disappointed with a trip to Disneyland: Minnie Mouse is waiting to greet them personally, and they can savor the memories of their time with this iconic character through many types of souvenirs, photos, and personal experiences.