Imagine discovering Universal Studios Islands of Adventure where all of your favorite things as a child come to life. In one visit to this Orlando theme park, you can take a step back in time and relive all of the memories you had with your favorite superheroes, comic book characters and more.
About Universal Studios Islands of Adventure
As part of a major park expansion, Universal Studios opened its Islands of Adventure in May 1999. This attraction, along with Hard Rock Hotel, CityWalk and the Portofino Bay, helped convert Universal Studios Florida into Universal Orlando Resort.
The Islands of Adventure are set up around a lagoon with each having its own exciting theme, shops, rides and attractions. Various live characters meet and greet the guests throughout the day, including:
- The Cat in the Hat
- Captain America
- Merlin the Magician
- The Incredible Hulk
- Olive Oyle
Guests start out at the Port of Entry and are transported to each of the five islands where they can spend as much time as they want. A vintage lighthouse marks the theme park's entrance.
Marvel Superhero Island
If you are looking for a place where the villains are pitted again the super heroes, than the Marvel Superhero Island is the place to be. Based on the Marvel comic book series, the battle of good vs. evil is prominent here. Attractions include:
- The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: This is a high tech, 3-D simulation ride that lets you really feel and see a Spider-Man adventure as he coasts through city streets.
- Incredible Hulk Coaster: Go from zero to 40 miles per hour on this two-minute roller coaster ride. It has seven inversions and two subterranean trenches.
- Dr. Doom's Fearfall: Hang on as you rocket 150 feet in to the air and free fall even faster.
Geared toward children of all ages, Toon Lagoon is modeled after the characters created by Jay Ward and King Features Syndicate. There are several water-based rides and three restaurants located here:
- Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls: Traditional log flume ride based on the cartoon of the same name.
- Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges: A fast-moving, river rapids ride.
- Me Ship, The Olive: Playground built in and around Popeye's ship.
If you loved the movies, then you will enjoy this island:
- Jurassic Park River Adventure: Fast-moving river raft ride through dinosaur habitats. Keep a look out for stray dinosaurs!
- Jurassic Park Discovery Center: Learn everything there is to know these prehistoric animals in this hands-on, interactive area.
If you have younger children, this island is most suitable for them:
- The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride: Train ride through the Seuss Landing.
- The Cat in the Hat: Gentle ride on a couch where you will get to meet The Cat in the Hat.
- Caro-Seuss-el: See of all Dr. Seuss' fun storybook characters on this carousel.
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish: Steer one of the book's fish through an obstacle course.
- If I Ran the Zoo: Interactive play area for children.
The Lost Continent
This is the land that myths and legends are made of! Find dragons, castles and more here:
- Deuling Dragons: Double roller coaster ride: Choose either a fire or ice dragon to ride.
- The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad: Sinbad rescues a pretty princess in this stage show.
- Poseidon's Fury: Take a tour of Poseidon, an underwater ancient temple. Be careful, though, you may find yourself in the middle of a colassal battle!
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Opening in spring 2010, this island is inspired by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books. Park visitors can visit their favorite settings from the books, as well as ride twin roller coasters and take part in a dragon challenge.
A Final Note
Universal Studios Islands of Adventure is included in your admission to the theme park. For more information regarding ride requirements, visit the Islands of Adventure website.